ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
1 large sweet potato (ANY variety), washed well (skin on), cut into 1/2-3/4 cm slices
5 TBSP high heat cooking oil (avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee, grapeseed oil, or rice bran oil)
1/4 TSP paprika
Salt and pepper – sparingly to taste
1 dense handful of your favorite herbs (fresh or dried), chopped: choose 1 or 2 of basil, chive, green onion, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, tarragon
1 TSP of your favorite spices: choose 1 or 2 of cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 360 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together sweet potato slices, oil, paprika, salt and pepper, and optional herbs/spices so that each potato slice is evenly coated in oil and dry ingredients.
- Place sweet potato slices on a baking sheet atop parchment paper (optional, put aluminum foil under neat the parchment too).
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and flip over each slice, then bake another 20 minutes. Sweet potato should be slightly browned, but NOT blackened – remove slices that are blackening earlier than planned.
- Serve warm.
- Garlic aioli (1 clove of garlic blended with 1/4 cup: avocado mayonnaise, veganaise, or light mayonnaise)
- 1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Sweet potato may also be boiled or steamed on medium-high heat until softt, or baked whole and plain at 360 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into 1/2-3/4 cm slices and serve.
Hands-On Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Makes 3-4 servings